[6bone] IPv6 connection + website.

John Klos john@sixgirls.org
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:24:23 -0500 (EST)

> > I think this is a good suggestion, as IPv6 on Windows is
> > something of a hack.
>
> !! -- perhaps you are confusing the preview editions of the IPv6 stack
> on Windows, such as the well-known Windows 2000 technology preview,
> which were issued as Microsoft gradually refined its implementation
> prior to releasing a fully-supported stack. These preview editions were
> unsupported.

Yes, my experience is probably a bit dated.

> Microsoft enjoys this list too. We hadn't noticed any OS bias.
>
> > To put it simply, one does not deploy for a specific OS when
> > one deploys for the Internet (well, people do, but it's not
> > correct). The same is true of IPv6.
>
> There are all sorts of reasons why people deploy all sorts of platforms.
> Which platforms are used should be determined by analyzing requirements
> and matching capabilities.

I'm sorry - perhaps I could've made my point a little more succinct by
saying that an OS-specific approach to learning new technology does not
lend itself to broad deployment. Gav incorrectly implied a dependency
between a server's OS type and the client's OS type (in the context of
IPv6 and web serving), and such incorrect thinking often leads to improper
deployment.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs