[6bone] 6Bone registry entries when multihomed?

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:09:57 -0700

Pim,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> Why not having accurate information in the 6bone database? We are not
>> talking about a xTLA peering with a private ASN, but about a site
>> peering with a xTLA that can use remove-private-as.

> Pim van Pelt wrote:
> Can, but doesn't, as has been visible in the global routing
> tables for many months now.

This is the root of the problem, IMHO.

> He may (naturally) do what he pleases, however he has been asked
> by numerous people not to have his AS show up all around the place,
> but he simply blames his uplinks for not filtering them out.

Well, it is the role of an xTLA to make sure that whatever crap their
customers feed them is not seen in the global routing table. To some
extent, it's good that people do announce private ASNs, because it
points out filtering flaws.

> I might as well filter off those pTLAs that are not well
> behaving then

Have you contacted them? If someone forgot to put a filter, it's one
thing. If they do it on purpose, I would filter these non-behaving pTLAs
myself.

Michel.