Linux QOS ipv4 affects kernel using zebra for ipv6

Smith, Mark - Sydney smith.r.mark@wcom.com.au
Fri, 10 May 2002 08:39:25 +0800

Well, I haven't had the specific problem you having, but I have been having
trouble with zebra on a 2.4.18 kernel, on a debian 2.2 box.

Specifically, I can't get zebra to recognise and advertise new IPv6 prefixes
via ripng when I bring up a new interface. Initially I thought it was
because I didn't compile in netlink support, but after doing that, the zebra
daemon does recognise when I bring up / down  the interface externally,
assign a prefix via "ip addr add" etc, but ripng just won't advertise it out
the other Ripng enabled interfaces, when I add that interface to the "router
ripng" config section.

Strangely enough, this only seems to happen after the machine is booted. I
have boot scripts on the box that bring up the interfaces, assign prefixes,
and then run zebra / ripng, it all works fine (I'm initially running zebra
with an ethernet (facing a ripng running cisco router) and a tap interface,
with http://openvpn.sf.net sitting behind it, running a virtual ethernet
tunnel to my home over a dial up link.).

I do have all of netfilter compiled in, with all the options / plug ins
enabled, but I haven't actually done any netfilter config yet.

Could be a netfilter code / zebra / ripng conflict as you suggest.

Hope this helps a bit,
Mark.