about IPv6 PPPoE

Bo Byrd bo@bbyrd.net
Thu, 2 May 2002 08:13:07 -0400

No, PPPoE doesn't ARP.  There is no layer3 field in the packet.  How it
works is that a client will send out a PPPoE PADI packet which is a
broadcast.  (PADI is PPPoE Active Discovery Initiation)  A PPPoE server
(Access Concentrator) will see this broadcast and send a PADO - PPPoE
active Discovery Offer packet to the MAC address requesting the PADI.
The session then continues on.  That’s how the 2 ends discover mac
addresses.  If you sniff a PPPoE session with Ethereal you can see
exactly what I'm talking about.  You can actually have many PPPoE
servers on the same network segment, that are differentiated by their
AccessConcentrator-Name.  You can manually place the name of a specific
AccessConcentrator in the PADI packet if you know the particular name of
the one you want to connect to, and your PPPoE client software supports
you doing this.  This is never required and rarely do you see more than
1 AccessConcentrator per lan segment anyways.

I'd say PPPoE would not need to be modified to work with IPv6 by my
understanding of how PPPoE works but I could be wrong.

-Bo

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-6bone@ISI.EDU [mailto:owner-6bone@ISI.EDU] On Behalf Of
yjchu
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 4:26 AM
To: Jørgen Hovland; 6bone@ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: about IPv6 PPPoE

Hi:
               I am curious about what you have tried. Can you tell me
where can I download PPPoE software to try the dial up? Do you really
try PPPoE or just PPP (not PPPoE) over p2p link?

I am confusing .........As I know, PPPoE must perform ARP and thus,
there is a field to carry IPv4 address in PPPoE protocol. Why does
PPPoE(v4) not need to be modified to support IPv6 ?  IPv6 uses neighbor
discovery to find MAC <--> IPv6 address map. The protocol is over IP,
not like ARP(v4). Is that the reason why PPPoE need not to be modified
for IPv6 ?

Thanks
Yann-Ju CHu