6bone web site unreachable over IPv6, connection refused over IPv4

Lane, Nick nick.lane@informa.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:26:12 -0000

Hello,

IP-Core Network analyst (an in-depth, analytical, monthly,
busines-2-business newsletter) is currently working on an article looking at
carrier deployment strategies for IPv6. I realise that 6Bone is an
experimental ad hoc network, but if anyone has any views, comments on the
following questions (see below), either myself or my colleague Tola Sargeant
(tola.sargeant@informa.com), would be pleased to speak to you.

Many thanks in advance

Nick Lane

Which carriers are leading v6 deployment? (In Europe? Asia? U.S.?)

How do their deployment strategies differ? Is there a difference between
incumbent and greenfield operators' strategies?

Do you agree that most seem to be building separate v6 networks (Skanova,
KPNQwest etc.)? Why, in your opinion, are they doing this?

Is this a viable long term strategy, or will they have to integrate v6 into
their v4 core network in the future? Why? When?

Deutsche Telekom expressed a preference for edge-only IPv6 networks, using
dual-stack routers - do you think this will be a common trend among
incumbent vendors going forward? Why?

Is it cheaper / easier to deploy a separate v6 network or to integrate v6
into a v4 network?

Are today's v6-only routers / dual-stack routers stable enough to deploy in
the core of networks? (which are most stable?)

Some in the industry have said that today's IPv6 is an access technology -
would you agree?

Some operators (such as BellSouth?) have said they don't plan to move to
IPv6 yet - does this put them at a disadvantage? Will they eventually have
to move to IPv6 / when?

Several carriers have said that they don't expect to make any money from v6
for 18 months/2 years - do you agree with them?
When do you think we can expect volume levels of IPv6 traffic?

_____________________
Nick Lane
Editor, IP-Core Network analyst
www.baskerville.telecoms.com/ipcore
nick.lane@informa.com
Baskerville, informa Telecoms Group,
Mortimer House, 37-41 Mortimer Street,
London, W1T 3JH.
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7017 4260
or +44 (0) 20 7453 2804

To download a free sample of IP-Core Network analyst, visit
www.baskerville.telecoms.com/ipcore or contact Paul Waite
(paul.waite@informa.com) on +44 20 7017 5914

For an online multi-user or corporate subscription contact Owen Hart on tel:
+44 20 7453 2316 / owen.hart@informa.com

This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly
confidential and intended solely for the addressee.  If you are not
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any action
in reliance of this transmission.  If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify us by return and delete the same.
Further enquiries/returns can be posted to postmaster@informa.com
Thank you.