[6bone] IPv6 routing table size

Hua Ning nhua@biigroup.com
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:11:02 +0800

hi , Jeff,
It's me to make the presentation in China v6 Summit,

(1) So far the size of v6 routing table is no more than hundreds,
yet it's only in the period of v6 experiment and with few
ISP to provide v6 service.

(2) The aggregation model of v6 address can lower the number of
entries in router, but considering the length of v6 address, the practical
environment might not go as we plan it to be.

(3) The actually size of v6 routing table has much to do with RIR's
v6 allocation policy. Accroding to recent policy which will take effect in July,
RIR is going to allocate /32 as minimal to v6 service provider,
and v6 service provider will assign /48 to end site. If the end-site has its own AS number,
should we let the /48 appear in global routing table ?

(4) Considering the multi-homing environment, when a end-site get a
/48 from providerA, get a second /48 from providerB, and get a third /48
from providerC, and no matter this end-site has AS number or not,
If the end-site want to take full use of the three address space and the three links,
we have to let the three prefixes to appear in global routing table.

(5) To achieve better aggregation, RIRs should apply practices that
maximize the potential for subsequent allocations to be made contiguous
with past v6 allocations currently held.
However, there can be no guarantee of contiguous allocation.
See.

(6) At present, one v6 provider might already hold 2 entries in rouring table,
one is 3ffe block , another is 2001 block, we should expect more 3xxx or 2xxx to
appear in the future, who knows.

In summary, the size of v6 routing table can not be predicted precisely so far,
but in my opinion, if v6 roll out in large scale in the world, the size won't be less
than some dozens of thousand, and might be more than the size of v4.

BTW: the 863 project for v6 router , 1M is for v4 and 200K is for v6.

Regards,

Hua Ning
Chief Engineer
Beijing Internet-networking Institute,