[6bone] whois and mnt-lower

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:01:58 -0700

Pim,

At 10:35 AM 6/15/2002 +0200, Pim van Pelt wrote:
>Hi
>
>What are the current thoughts of the WHOIS database maintainers (and its
>software engineers) on the insertion of a maintained object for the
>3ffe::/16 (or even 0::/0) range, and delegate mnt-lower to each company
>that received a pTLA allocation.
>
>This will take care of the problem Jeroen mentioned, and the apparent
>honest mistake Amaury's engineering team made.
>
>I for one would very much like to see this database cleaned up a bit
>more.

There has been a 3FFE::/16 inet6num for the 6bone for some time (see
below). We have not wanted to get into extended discussions, about what you
suggest above, on the list to avoid attracting overmuch interest, however,
David and I are discussing various approaches (including yours) and will
eventually let the list know what's reasonable for us to do.

Thanks,

Bob

===
% RIPEdb(3.0.0b2) with ISI RPSL extensions

inet6num:     3FFE::/16
netname:      6BONE
descr:        Test Address Space for the 6bone
country:      AR AT AU BE BG BR CA
               CM CN CZ DE DK EE ES
               FI FR GB GR
               HK HU IE
               IN IT JP KR KZ LT MX
               MY NL NO NZ PL PT RO
               RU SE SG SI SK TW UA
               US UY ZA
admin-c:      RLF1-6BONE
tech-c:       BM2-6BONE
tech-c:       DK13-RIPE
rev-srv:      ns.isi.edu
rev-srv:      imag.imag.fr
remarks:      contact RLF1-6BONE for allocation of a pTLA
               contact BM2-6BONE for reverse delegations
               contact DK13-RIPE for issues regarding the 6bone registry
               changed netname to 6bone
remarks:      This object is automatically converted from the RIPE181 registry
mnt-by:       RLF1-6BONE
changed:      davidk@ISI.EDU 19970908
changed:      rlfink@lbl.gov 19970909
changed:      fink@es.net 20000521
changed:      fink@es.net 20000712
changed:      auto-dbm@whois.6bone.net 20010117
source:       6BONE

ipv6-site:    6BONE
origin:       AS293
descr:        IETF NGTRANS Working Group IPv6 Testbed
prefix:       3FFE::/16
contact:      RLF1-6BONE
remarks:      This object is automatically converted from the RIPE181 registry
url:          http://www.6bone.net
notify:       fink@es.net
mnt-by:       RLF1-6BONE
changed:      fink@es.net 20001128
changed:      auto-dbm@whois.6bone.net 20010117
source:       6BONE

person:       Robert L. Fink
address:      ESnet - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
phone:        +1 510 486 5692
e-mail:       fink@es.net
nic-hdl:      RLF1-6BONE
remarks:      change to my esnet email address
changed:      fink@es.net 19991206
changed:      fink@es.net 20000521
changed:      auto-dbm@whois.6bone.net 20010117
source:       6BONE

person:       Bill Manning
address:      po 12317, mdr, ca. usa
phone:        +1.310.322.8102
e-mail:       bmanning@isi.edu
nic-hdl:      BM2-6BONE
remarks:      This object is automatically converted from the RIPE181 registry
notify:       bmanning@isi.edu
changed:      bmanning@isi.edu 19970401
changed:      auto-dbm@whois.6bone.net 20010117
source:       6BONE