[6bone] ifconfig and EUI-64

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:07:56 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

     | and the possibility to explicitely set the link-local address too.

   Doesn't everyone already allow that?

=> no, for instance in KAME you have to recompile the kernel with
"options IP6_AUTO_LINKLOCAL=0"...

   What I want, which is maybe what you meant, is the ability to explicitly
   set the IID, from which the link-local, and global (and site-local...)
   addresses are computed.

=> on a reasonable system to set the link-local address or the IID are
equivalent.

   That is so when a new prefix appears in a
   RA, the new address will automatically be generated using the IID I
   specified (which is why simply specifying the whole address doesn't work).

=> the subject of this thread is the extension of this to the ifconfig
command.

Thanks

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr