[6bone] ifconfig and EUI-64

ww@GROOVY.NET ww@GROOVY.NET
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 15:06:30 -0400

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 07:22:47PM +0200, Pim van Pelt wrote:

> which will let the fa0/0 device figure out its own address using the
> lower order 64 bits of its linklocal address in the specified prefix.
>
> This behavior is missing in the Unix world and I for one would like to
> see it implemented. Anybody against this ?

There was a discussion about this some time ago on the NetBSD
tech-net mailing list. The debate centered on whether it was
better to have this functionality in the ifconfig binary or
in some sort of script that would call ifconfig after calculating
the lower order 64 bits. The problem with the latter is that it
might assume that /usr is mounted which may not be true until
after networking has been configured.

I can't think of any very strong argument about why what you
suggest should not be implemented within ifconfig(8).

Cheers,
Will