[6bone] semi-newbie Q on IPv6 address planning

Philip Smith pfs@cisco.com
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:43:08 +1000

Nick,

In addition to the other answers:

rfc2374 is basically out of date - the terminology and boundaries referring
to TLA, NLA etc are not applicable any more. So, your /32 is yours to
subdivide as you wish - the minimum amount you give to any site is a /48,
you use /64 for point-to-point links (and as Michel said, pick a /48 block
to number your p-t-p links out of - which gives you 65k p-t-ps).

Why pick a /40 for your ISP customers - just give them what they require
and can justify, as you do with IPv4 - you are announcing only your /32
aggregate to the Internet, the subprefixes won't ordinarily be visible, so
it's up to you how you want things to appear within your own backbone.

Note that when you "run out" of your /32 and need more address space, I'd
imagine that the registries would require a similar documentation effort to
what you are currently doing for your IPv4 allocation, so it is highly
advisable to be prudent in how you distribute.

As for case studies, well, networks are all different - as for IPv4, doing
a case study for address space distribution depends so much on local
circumstance. (Note that RFC2374 expected ISPs to be shoe-horned into one
particular model, a model which many operators couldn't work with.)

philip