[6bone] Re: routing concern

Ronald van der Pol Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:03:55 +0200

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 22:01:07 +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:

> And as the time goes on, people obviously tend to sacrifice the
> tunnel peerings for native ones and the reliability improves. The natural
> process.

This is what we have been trying to do for the last couple of
years, but without much success. The 6bone is still too unstable.
Look at the OS mailing lists. End users are disabling IPv6 in
their OS because it does not work.

We don't need a stable IPv6 network tomorrow. We need it today.
I doubt if we can make the 6bone stable very soon.

Their is also the question what the current 6bone is supposed to
be. Is it an IPv6 network that evolves in a globally production/
commercial stable IPv6 network? Or is it becoming a network for
doing IPv6 related experiments? We may need such a network in
the next few years for doing (possibly disruptive) testing
(multihoming, completely new addressing and/or routing, etc.)

	rvdp