[6bone] Re: routing concern

Ronald van der Pol Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:47:50 +0200

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:28:11 -0400, John Fraizer wrote:

> If you don't want to see RIR space on your router Ronald, you can filter
> it.  I _strongly_ disagree with having a hard seperation of production v6
> and 6bone though.  There already exists seperation.  Production services
> on production prefixes.  6bone experiments on 6bone prefixes.

There is a problem when production services are being reached via
a network which is not stable (like 6bone is today). I am not saying
it is bad that 6bone is not stable. I just think 6bone should become
a network for doing IPv6 related experiments only, no production.

> Do you really want to create an island out of the production v6
> network?  Do you want folks on production v6 address space to not be able
> to reach 6bone prefixes?

No, and these are not related. There can be connections to and from
the 6bone. But the routing must be setup in a way that you never
reach production prefixes via the 6bone (when your origin is not the
6bone).

> We're not asking people to stop experimenting.  We're asking them to do so
> wisely.  As for scaring people away from v6, I don't see it.  As
> confounded as it is, the 6bone is more robust then the initial v4
> network.

I want an IPv6 network which is *at least* as reliable as the IPv4
network is *today*.

> If you're complaining about people running production services on 6bone
> PREFIXES, perhaps they haven't gotten around to getting their RIR space
> yet.

I am not complaining. I am just asking the question if the time has
come to seperate experiment from production.

	rvdp