[6bone] Re: routing concern

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:40:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Michel Py wrote:

> > Robert J. Rockell wrote:
> > -sprint messed up their configs
>
> As I said before, the 6bone is the right place for this. Has anyone been
> hurt? Anyone lost money? The lessons we collectively learn each time
> someone messes up a route are far more valuable than the consequences of
> messing up the route.
>
> Can anyone here say they never messed up a config anyway?

I doubt that many can say they have never messed up a config.  What I am
more interested in is:

1) How many people continue to participate in the BGP DFZ with what is
KNOWN to be a broken BGP implementation.

2) Why?

3) Why are their peers *STILL* their peers?

If I *KNOW FOR FACT* that someone, even one of our v4 transit customers,
is going to spew crap into the routing tables because their either too
cheap or too lazy to upgrade their BGP implementation, I'll depeer
them.  It's that simple.

Config issues are something that will happen.

BUGS in software are something that will happen.

People *IGNORING* these bugs in the software they run should *NOT*
happen.  Why is it?

> > -most of 6bone was still loose enough to see it.
> > While I take full responsibility for this, this is a good
> > learning experience. If you saw this bad route, you were not
> > filtering correctly (as sprint was not).

Does someone care to modify this prefix list to allow current 6bone and
RIR allocations through only?

ipv6 prefix-list subTLA-only seq 5 deny 2001::/16 ge 36
ipv6 prefix-list subTLA-only seq 10 deny 3ffe::/18 ge 25
ipv6 prefix-list subTLA-only seq 15 deny 3ffe:4000::/18 ge 33
ipv6 prefix-list subTLA-only seq 20 deny 3ffe:8000::/22 ge 29
ipv6 prefix-list subTLA-only seq 25 permit ::/0 ge 1

I can't for the life of me figure it out for some reason.  I tried
ipv6 prefix-list subTLA-only seq 5 deny 2001::/16 ge 36 le 33 but it
wouldn't take it.

---
John Fraizer              | High-Security Datacenter Services |
EnterZone, Inc            | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
http://www.enterzone.net/ | Virtual, Dedicated, Colocation    |