[6bone] Re: routing concern

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
30 Jul 2002 20:33:07 +0100

"Robert J. Rockell" <rrockell@sprint.net> writes:

> So being that this was our fault, perhaps I can find some silver lining?
>
> -sprint messed up their configs
> -most of 6bone was still loose enough to see it.
>
> While I take full responsibility for this, this is a good learning
> experience. If you saw this bad route, you were not filtering correctly (as
> sprint was not).

What filtering would you suggest to fix such an event in future?

Of course right now you could filter on /32, but in future this will
not be the maximum allocation. To justify a /24 in the current
allocation guidelines, you need around 600000 prospective assignments,
which is days of DSL is not unrealistic.

So actually we can expect to see assignments of that size, and
consequently a general filter on "allow only smaller equal /32" is way
too aggressive.

Robert