[6bone] ip6.int or ip6.arpa or BOTH?

John Fraizer tvo@ENTERZONE.NET
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:57:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Gino Francisco Alania Hurtado wrote:

> The rule podria to be segun your version DNS that you use, I use bind
> 9,2 and this she is for the inverse one:
>
> zone  "xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file  "xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.zone";

That sure looks like an IPv4 in-addr.arpa zone to me.

I think we're going to wind up with something like this:

zone "0.f.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int" {
        type master;
        file "ipv6/0.f.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int";
};

zone "0.f.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "ipv6/0.f.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa";
};

I'm just wondering folks.  Since we have perfectly good ip6.int, why do we
even WANT/NEED ip6.arpa?

Also, I didn't quite follow Kims example but, does anyone have a tool that
can be used to generate one zone type from another?  Note: I ALSO use
$ORIGIN lines in my zone files.

---
John Fraizer              | High-Security Datacenter Services |
EnterZone, Inc            | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
http://www.enterzone.net/ | Virtual, Dedicated, Colocation    |