[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 05:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

% | this prefix has/is being carved up into /48 and /64 subnets for
% | use at exchange points and other infrastructure support services.
% |
% | Do not expect to see it aggregated.
% In the RIPE region, there were lengthy and quite heated discussions on
% how an IXP is to request address space.
%
% The superblock 2001:7f8::/32 was created and also carved into /48s for
% use on peering points. It was specifically forbidden to run support
% services (such as looking glasses, websites, mailservers, etc) in this
% address space and it was noted that these /48s need not be globally
% routable.

	whom announces 2001:7f8::/32 ?
	someone with a path to each and every exchange that gets
	a /48 ?   and whom enforces the "no services" clause?

% Regarding Johns statement with regard to accepting broken space from
% somebody who is well known and respected, I am in total disagreement.
% I will be filtering according to RFC and in the case one exists, the BCP
% documents which are approved by my local community in the RIPE area.
% Accepting /48s from some /32 from ARIN does not belong to this set of
% policies, and I really don't see why any LIR, be they an IXP or no,
% should be able to change these policies on their own.

	Modulo the exceptions you mention below ... :)
	EP.NET, LLC. is not an LIR. (thats a RIPE convention)
	Filtering is the responsibility of each ISP, according
	to their own policies. Nothing I do should affect how
	you set your own fitlering policies.

% So in short: somebody should be aggregating 2001:478::/32 so that I (and
% most probably several other European operators) will have a path to the
% aggregate and be able to reach the /48s in a proper, RFC obeying manner.

That is precisely what I'm asking -NOT- be done. There is no transit
facility that will get you to all the exchanges numbered out of this
range.  e.g.

	2001:478:200::/48	MAE-West
	2001:478:1199::/48	MAE-Frankfurt
	2001:478:39::/48	IX-SauPaulo