(6bone) Ingress filtering (was: asymmetric routing)

Ville villearc@stealth.net
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 06:17:08 -0500 (EST)

Michel,

> > (quote/Dave Wilson)

> > If the customer has legitimate reason for sending alien traffic
> > (i.e. the space has been allocated to the customer by another
> > ISP), I see no reason why the ISP can't choose to allow it.

> (clip) (quote/Michel Py)

> there are not any, and multihoming is NOT a legitimate reason. It's
> not like it is a bad idea, but requirering ISPs to transport the
> traffic of their competitors is not going to fly, no way.

	Mind you, this actually happens. Even at current many NSPs
	free-willingly carry alien-traffic. Yet one does not see
	people run aloof on the streets and scream in panic() with
	all their valuables on fire.

	Sure, clearly not a solution for the QoS-sighted, but still
	indeniably a rather high-ranking option for people interested
	in sheer high volumes of bulk-traffic.

	What are we to pick for people what they want. If neither
	discouraged nor eliminated by protocol-design, the provider
	itself is left with all choices as to what to and what not to
	offer for his/her own clients.

> Michel.

Cheers,
--