asymmetric routing

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:30:55 -0800

6bone folk,

>> Basically RFC 2827 / BCP 38 about Ingress Filtering should be
>> used for IPv6 too. There are two ways to do ingress filtering:
>> access lists and unicast RPF.

> I don't think it's that easy. Please keep in mind, that a
> site/customer might be multihomed. In that case he might use a
> different prefix from that assigned by the upstream provider as
> source address.

FYI: I just added the following text as a proposed requirement
For IPv6 multihoming solutions.

"IPv6 multihoming solutions MUST be compatible with sites that
implement RPF checks or filtering that prevents traffic to be sent
back from a different interface it came in."

I welcome your comments on:

1. Is this posting on-topic for the 6bone list? In other words, is
it appropriate to post here some multi6 topics that have
implications for the 6bone folks for the benefit of those who do
not subscribe to the multi6 mailing list?

2. if yes, the text itself.

Michel.