Announicing more specific routes

Bernhard Schmidt berni@birkenwald.de
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:45:18 +0100

This mail is originally by Robert Blechinger, a co-worker at Cybernet.
His mails don't appear on the 6bone mailing list for unknown reasons, so
I'm forwarding it to the list.

----- Forwarded message from Robert Blechinger <rblechinger@cybernet-ag.net> -----

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:14:02 +0100
From: Robert Blechinger <rblechinger@cybernet-ag.net>
To: 6bone@isi.edu
Subject: Announicing more specific routes

Hi all,

i would like to ask all members of 6BONE and RIR to follow the rules written
in RFC 2772, regarding the announcement of more specific routes.

some days before i had about 350 different prefixes in my routingtable and
about 150 of them were more specific ones. that was about 43%

then i wrote to some pTLAs which anounced a lot of /64's and /48's from their
own delegated assignment.

but i don't want to write everybody mails rearding to this. there are
also many SLA's and NLA's which announcing their more specific prefixes
to everybody. Furthermore, some of them using private ASN to announce
their prefixes to everybody and the partners (pTLA's) didn't filter out them.

I think everybody will agree with me that we don't want to blow the
global ipv6 routingtable as it is already in the ipv4 one.

Visit http://sarah-hst.muc.eurocyber.net/  --> IPv6 AS-Path-Tree for the
current status.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------->

[RFC 2772]

4. Routing Policies for the 6bone
   All 6bone pTLAs MUST NOT advertise prefixes longer than a given pTLA
   delegation (currently /24 or /28) to other 6bone pTLAs unless special
   peering arrangements are implemented. When such special peering
   aggreements are in place between any two or more 6bone pTLAs, care
   MUST be taken not to leak the more specifics to other 6bone pTLAs not
   participating in the peering aggreement.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Kindly Regards Robert

--

   Blechinger Robert