Creating an ipv6-site object

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:19:05 -0800

For everyone not familiar with ASNs one should read the APNIC  FAQ on ASNs:

<http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/as_faq.html#5>

and specifically public and private ASNs:

>When is a Public Autonomous System number required?
>A Public AS number is required only when an AS is exchanging routing
>information with other Autonomous Systems on the public Internet. That is,
>all routes orginating from an AS is visible on the Internet.
>
>When can I use a Private Autonomous System number?
>A Private AS number should be used if an AS requires to do BGP with a
>single provider. As the routing policy between the AS and the provider
>will not be visible in the Internet, a Private AS Number can be used for
>this purpose.
>The IANA has reserved AS64512 through to AS65535 to be used as private ASes.

And RFC1930:

<http://ftp.apnic.net/ietf/rfc/rfc1000/rfc1930.txt>

and from section 8 on IGP issues:

"As stated above, many router vendors require an identifier for tagging
their IGP processes. However, this tag does not need to be globally unique.
In practice this information is never seen by exterior routing protocols.
If already running an exterior routing protocol, it is perfectly reasonable
to use your AS number as an IGP tag; if you do not, choosing from the
private use range is also acceptable (see "Reserved AS Numbers"). Merely
running an IGP is not grounds for registration of an AS number. "

Thanks,

Bob

===