Creating an ipv6-site object

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:21:58 -0800

Kevin,

At 02:44 PM 1/17/2002 +0000, Kevin Farnes wrote:
>There is that potential if all else fails. However, this does make life a
>little bit more difficult for connection points as they must then ensure
>that this ASN does not get distributed. I suppose I could just put a
>suitable number in the field to allow the object to be created and just
>never use it. However, I would have thought that was cheating a
>could lead to confusion later.

If you are a pTLA you must have your own ASN. If you are not a pTLA, you
have the choice of the ASN of your upstream address allocation (tho it
would be polite to ask them first), or a private range ASN. It is always
the responsibility of your peers to not propagate it if you are not a pTLA,
unless there is agreement to do so for some real reason, and the uniqueness
of the ASN is taken into account.

>I would have thought, however, that the system would be capable of
>allowing sites to be created without the necessity of having to have
>their own ASN number.

If we didn't require it no none would fill it in.

>The current thoughts between myself and the connection point I
>have been talking to would be to use Static routing which keeps life
>nice and simple for both parties.

Well, even in this simple case BGP has uses, hence an ASN. Anyway, pick
your upstream's ASN or a random private range ASN.

Thanks,

Bob