Please make 3ffe::/16 reverse-delegations under ip6.arpa

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:18:15 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:39:42AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > As ip6.arpa has been BCP for some time now, would it make sense to
> > delegate the reverses under ip6.arpa to all pTLA's, to the same servers as
> > with ip6.int?  (at the moment, not even e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa has been
> > delegated.)
>
> Last time I looked at the RFCs and compared them with glibc, I found
> glibc was buggy.

No.

> ip6.int uses a nibble-based format.  ip6.arpa uses a bitstring.
> Unfortunately, the glibc people just replaced ip6.int with ip6.arpa,
> which is obviously not correct.

The only thing RFC 3152 basically says is that delegations from ip6.int
should be moved under ip6.arpa.

The author of the RFC has clarified this to mean that nibble-structure
should still be used with ip6.arpa.  (nothing prevents from putting
bitlabels there too, of course.)

IMO, this should have been clearly mentioned in the draft, as it just
confuses people (it confused me, and it has confused you).