Question on address configuration

Edward Lewis lewis@tislabs.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:54:32 -0500

We're starting up a 6Bone connected set of machines and have come across a
question regarding setting up a server.  (If this isn't 6Bone fodder,
please send me a redirect.)

I'd like to have my DNS server at 3ffe:817::3.  I can configure an
interface to come up at that address.  But I would also like to have this
machine be able to listen to a router's advertisement of 3ffe:817::/64 as
the local (globally routed) network address and then append ::3 to get the
setting.

E.g., Could (linux) ifcfg-eth0 have a line IPV6ADDR="::3" which tells the
router solicitor to append that to the router's prefix?

I understand autoconf, and have been able to set that up, getting
prefix:enet-number as the IPv6 address.  Like I said, by playing with the
ifconfig (or appropriate network interface configuration command) I can
also just set up the 128 bit address.

If there isn't already a way to assign an address in the way I've
described, this may be an issue.  I'd like to take advantage of router
advertisements so that I can renumber by just changing the router (and a
few lines in DNS, assuming A6).  If I use autoconf I can do this - but if
my server's interface card dies and is replaced, my server's well-known
address is changed.  With DNS and the /etc/resolv.conf file, I'd have to
visit every machine to make this change.

Perhaps this isn't a clear description of the problem.  Yeah, an
application like DNS shouldn't depend on the network (IPv6) address - but
this is DNS.  Maybe I do need to forego the advantages of autoconf for
servers.  Maybe I have the wrong mindset about address assignments.
Perhaps my clients should put a site-local address in /etc/resolv.conf, and
I should pay the price for static assignments for my publically accessable
[name] servers.

PS Typing "ping6 3ffe:817::3" is a lot easier than:
          "ping6 3ffe:817::what:ever:that:card:is"

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.