new 6bone pTLA prefix proposal, comments by 4 March 2002 please

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:20:15 +0100

Hi,

Skimming through these notes, I would like to make one point.

With the recent issues concerning multicast (sorry to bring it up yet again:),
and global reachability for enterprises, I can very well imagine non ISPs
requesting a pTLA status (or even taking their case to a RIR) just for them
to be reachable via multiple paths. This would mean that large companies will
get this status where they could/would not in the IPv4 world. I see a possible
and even probable explosion of the DFZ with this in mind.

The first example of this has been given by our collegues from Microsoft. Not
to start a bash on them, on the contrary, their research into the protocol is
much welcomed by me personally. It does illustrate the point, however.

With the 6bone thouroughly intermixed with the sTLA world as of today, having
a pTLA has no disadvantages over RIR space. The ARIN region even has to pay
for their allocation in the first place. This seems to me as a potential threat
to RIR policies in the mid term future.

I find your points 2 and 4 to be of some use. We should make the pTLA requester
aware that these network allocations made under the 3ffe::/16 network are not
to be used to circumvent RIR policies.

I myself use the pTLA and sTLA for INTOUCH-NL differently, and would not like
to hand in, nor renumber, the current pTLA. For the record: my sTLA is used for
native (ams-ix) paying customers and affiliates of Intouch NV, and the pTLA is
kind of dedicated to the IPng project (the public tunnelbroker). It makes no
sense to me to renumber IPng into the sTLA. I would like to keep playtime and
business (well, future potential business, anyway ;-) separated. If point 4
is satisfied, why would the exception case in point 2 have to be proven ?

The 4th remark however is very smart. We (the 6bone community) should require
valid use and regular reports, I would even say every 12 months, in order for
the entity to be granted continued use of their pTLA. This way we might be able
to catch the potential RIR circumventing entities before they make use of the
6bone for production state networks.

The other points seem quite usable, and a /32 bit pTLA means we will be able
to go on for some time until we hit even half of the 16K scope of these
networks. It will take some filtering updates on most of our routers though,
as I think most of us accept only /28 in 3ffe:8000::/17 and /24 in 3ffe::/17
ie not -le 28 (at least I am very strict on policies at the moment).

--
Met vriendelijke groet,     /\ ___/