(6bone) Ingress filtering (was: asymmetric routing)

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:53:01 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Matteo Tescione wrote:
> > Problem with IPv6 multihoming is that IPv4 multihoming is so "easy" and
> > works quite well.  It may be we can't design a protocol or equivalent that
> > will handle the scenarios responsibly and as well.
> Easy???

Just get prefix A.B.C.0/24 and two ISP's, pay them, configure BGP with
them and advertise as appropriate.

> According to you if ipv4 multihoming is easy, ipv6 multihoming will be
> impossible...
> And if ipv6 multihoming will be impossible I suggest to stop experimenting
> ipv6.

Who said the (only) goal of IPv6 was multihoming?

This can be seen as a good thing: it forces everyone to stop the
irresponsible practise of cluttering global routing table (among others).
A drawback is that we don't have anything really concrete to offer for
site multihoming problem in the place of old practises; there are a few
proposals though.