[6bone] 6bone registry -- dead or alive?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:12:06 +0100

Johann Sharizan [mailto:johann@ninja.terrabionic.com] wrote:

> Jeroen,
>
> I apologize for not being plain and specific.

I only asked you for it simply because it saves a lot of questions ;)
And people tend to find it easier to help and are more willing to
help when they have the full set of informations required.

Also as David Kessens pointed out, you might fix your DNS setup first.
Checking www.foobar.tm/dns/ and entering terrabionic.com reveales some
very odd things, amongst others:

8<------------
Fri Dec 20 20:02:39 UTC 2002
terrabionic.com     	NS	ns2.terrabionic.com
Nameserver ns2.terrabionic.com not running
terrabionic.com SOA record not found at ns2.terrabionic.com, try again
terrabionic.com     	NS	ns1.terrabionic.com
ninja.terrabionic.com	johann.ninja.terrabionic.lan	(2002092801
10800 3600 604800 86400)
 !!! terrabionic.com SOA primary ninja.terrabionic.com is not advertised
via NS
------------>8

The only reason why most people seem to be able to send email to you is
the
fact that the ns1/ns2 pair is registered in the gtld servers and not
because
your DNS is setup correctly at all. Also:

$ host ninja.terrabionic.com
ninja.terrabionic.com   A       217.13.29.51
 !!! ninja.terrabionic.com A record has zero ttl

That's a very bad thing as most resolvers will just throw it out at
instant.

> So I can stop signing up for a mntner object now? ::}
>
> The tunnel broker I've chosen requires me to register with
> the 6bone whois
> database. And as far as I understand, a persons object is not enough.
>
> Guess I'll have to wait until after newyear to get my hookup.

You don't need a maintainer object to have a working person object.
But the fact is that if you don't have a maintainer object anybody
can change your person object (delete,modify). Thus your data isn't
safe.
Though I've only seen it a couple of times that a 6bone object was
'stolen'
by someone else.

Btw I know of one tunnelbroker which requires an email field in the
person object. That same tunnelbroker does also plan to start
'capturing' all person
objects which sign up/have signed up and maintain them under their own
maintainer object thus protecting the deletion of those users. Users can
then change their information through the website and also allowing for
maintainer change, allowing the user to control it themselves again.

Greets,
 Jeroen