[6bone] [NOTIFY] XS26 service/peering outage

Jesper Skriver jesper@skriver.dk
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:22:45 +0100

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 05:06:00PM -0500, John Fraizer wrote:

> In most cases, no.
>
> Think about it.  Why on earth would you want to carry 5000 prefixes in
> your IGP/EGP when a single aggregate for each router will do?
>
> Why on earth, beyond the possibility of a BGP peer at the end of one
> of those DSL terminations (people do that?) would that effect your
> EGP?
>
> You don't really carry those specifics in BGP do you?

Ofcause I do, my IGP is strictly for carrying loopback addresses, used
for (i)BGP next-hop's, everything else is in BGP.

> If so, for what reason?  If they're in your IGP, they're in your
> routing table.  There is no reason to carry them in the EGP.

You want your IGP to be stable and fast, thus you don't want to carry
customer routes in your IGP.

> IMHO, if you didn't learn it from a BGP peer or didn't originate it
> with a "network" statement in your BGP config, it doesn't belong in
> BGP.  BGP != IGP.

Se above, which is what most large service providers do.

/Jesper

Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark