[6bone] [NOTIFY] XS26 service/peering outage

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:06:53 +0100

|   Due to consistent and major problems with zebra as a routing software
| (BGP+OSPF6) on our Points of Presence and fundamental lack of certain features
| we require in the routing protocols we currently use, we decided to switch the
| whole network to a new completely different routing software, coded by Jan
| Oravec specially for the Access to Six project. This software will use own
| special protocol for internal routing inside of the XS26 network and it will
| support BGP for external peerings. This software will also make it possible to
| finally add support for user BGP peerings and dial-up users support. Also,
| considerable web interface usability improvements will be done.
Petr,

Which 'major problems' do you have with bgpd/ospf6d ? I have been
running this succesfully since the day I enabled it. I've seen succesful
adjacencies being built between Zebra boxes, Zebra/Cisco, and
Zebra/Juniper machines.

You plan to run proprietary software due to lack of support ? May we
also know which support you are referring to and why the current set of
routing protocols is not good enough ? I'd be interrested in hearing
your motivations.

|    Even after starting up our BGP implementation we will announce only our
| prefix (we won't provide transit) for some time, while we will be testing it
| carefully. We expect to proceed with re-establishment of the BGP peerings
| slowly and carefully, as we don't want to harm connectivity of other sites or
| pollute the global BGP table with bogus entries. Also, we will take this
| opportunity and give full-transit only to those who will actually want it
| explicitly.
Good luck with your BGP implementation! I'll surely notify you if I see
anything strange from the AS's I maintain.

groet,
Pim

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl