[6bone] (no subject)

Aaron J. Angel aangel@myrealbox.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:30:59 -0600

aridaman kaushik wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I have a doubt regarding ipv4 over ipv6 tunnel.
>
> 1. When a tunnel is configured,  we configure source and destination
> for the tunnel. Why source address should be configured for the
> tunnel. Is it not sufficient to configure only destination address for
> the tunnel.

The machines on which you configure the tunnel need to know their own
address, or else they won't have anything to stick in the source field
of the IP header.

> 2. is it necessary to establish the path between source and
> destination explicitly before establishing a tunnel and then use this
> path in routing header of tunnel packet for transmitting the packet?.

Well, you need to be able to reach the destination.  Provided you can
reach the destination from both ends, that's all that needs to be done.
 The destination address in the IP header is used to route the packet
through the network to the other endpoint.