[6bone] freebsd src addr wrong

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:27:08 +0100

David Waitzman wrote:

> I have a 6bone tunnel connection with a non-routed tunnel
> endpoint 2001::
> address.  I also have an official 6bone 3ffe:: address, which
> is assigned
> to one of my ether interfaces.
>
> When I "ping6 www.kame.net" I see that my side of the tunnel
> is used as a
> source address.  I don't get ping responses back (presumably because
> www.kame.net does not know where to send responses, given
> that the address
> it is getting is not routed).
>
> If I do a ping6 -S, selecting my 6bone 3ffe:: address as the
> source, then
> ping6 gets responses from kame just fine.
>
> I am using FreeBSD 4.6.
> We run Zebra-based BGP+ with our tunnel provider and thus
> have no default
> route.
>
> My questions:
> 1. Should tunnel endpoint addresses be routable?

They should be reachable thus they should be 'routable'.

> 2. Or how do I force FreeBSD to use the ether's IPv6 address
> as a source by
> default?  (Not all applications have the equivalent of
> Ping6's -S option to
> force the source address selection.)

Get yourself a decent OS with sourcerouting.
Also your upstream SHOULD filter out any prefixes of source addresses
not belonging to them (aka eggress filtering :).

And yes this breaks 'multihoming', at least the way some people define
it.

Greets,
 Jeroen