[6bone] [andrei@ripe.net: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Re: ip6.arpa for 6bone]

Petr Baudis pasky@xs26.net
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:32:31 +0100

  Hello,

  since this is a vital issue for the 6bone community, I decided to forward
this email here:

----- Forwarded message from Andrei Robachevsky <andrei@ripe.net> -----

From: Andrei Robachevsky <andrei@ripe.net>
To: Petr Baudis <pasky@pasky.ji.cz>
Subject: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Re: ip6.arpa for 6bone
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:06:17 +0100
Cc: Gert Doering <gert@space.net>, ipv6-wg@ripe.net,
	David Kessens <david@IPRG.nokia.com>

Dear Colleagues,

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:31:33PM CET, I got a letter,
> where Andrei Robachevsky <andrei@ripe.net> told me, that...
>
>> Hi,
>

> Hello,
>

>>> There's no need for the RIRs to actually do anything, besides
>>> give up the blockade position "the 6bone is not a RIR and per the
>>> RFC, only RIRs can do reverse delegation under ip6.arpa".  Have
>>> IANA delegate e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa to the same set of servers as
>>> e.f.f.3.ip6.int (as per Bill Manning's request that was denied
>>> due to RIR disapproval), and be done with it.
>>>

>> We are looking for a pragmatic solution to this technical problem.
>> This will be discussed with the other RIRs in the course of the
>> next week and at IETF. We expect to have a solution in place by the
>> end of November.
>

> since it's Nov 30 today, I would like to ask about progress in this
> issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Following the request from the community we investigated
possibilities to provide a pragmatic technical solution
for reverse DNS delegation under ip6.arpa, for the space
allocated for 6bone purposes (3ffe). It was understood
that the request was to provide a solution before a final
decision is made on the future management of the 3ffe
address space.

This issue was discussed between the RIRs at the IETF-55
meeting. As a result the RIRs have forwarded the request
to place the 3ffe space in the ip6.arpa zone to the IAB,
seeing that it would be an action that is contrary
to RFC 3152. If the request is honoured we will be able
to present a proposal for your review.

Best regards,

Andrei Robachevsky
CTO, RIPE NCC

----- End forwarded message -----

  Kind regards,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.
> I don't know why people still want ACL's. There were noises about them for
> samba, but I'v enot heard anything since. Are vendors using this?
Because People Are Stupid(tm).  Because it's cheaper to put "ACL support: yes"
in the feature list under "Security" than to make sure than userland can cope
with anything more complex than  "Me Og.  Og see directory.  Directory Og's.
Nobody change it".  C.f. snake oil, P.T.Barnum and esp. LSM users
        -- Al Viro
.
Crap: http://pasky.ji.cz/