[6bone] tighter mesh and accelerating IPv6

Chuck Yerkes chuck+6bone@snew.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:29:58 -0700

Quoting John Fraizer (tvo@EnterZone.Net):
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > > Of course.  But if you have *enough* peerings, you'll be able to reach
> > > most networks in a maximum of 2 hops - and if you then apply some
> > > MED fiddling to mark "slow" tunnels, you can achieve pretty good results.
> >
> > This leads to an "arms race"; everyone will need to get even more tunnels,
> > leading to even tighter spaghetti.
>
> No.  People who want tighter peering will seek it.  People who don't will
> settle for what they have.  High peer counts does NOT mean bad
> connectivity.  Peering with some joker on a 56K modem who then leaks a
> full table to you (and you accept it) leads to bad connectivity.

"People."

You mean "people" like me who want my rather large telco monopoly
ISP to offer IPv6 (or hell, consistent service).  No, "people" do
not have a lot of influence.  ISPs and large business do.  When
Ford requires IPv6 access to their partners and contractors, ISPs
will leap to fill that need.  When PacBell starts offering IPv6 on
their backbone, customers can start to ask for it.  The customers
aren't going to cause PBI to start offering it.

Who else?  When SMS/WAP2/PalmTop-based Web providers start
doing direct connections via IPv6 and there's a clear advantage
to talking to these folks via IPv6, we'll start to see it
deployed quicker.

If we see a disruptive technology that demands it, it will
get here quicker.  My thoughts are that cell phones and their
palmtop computer equivalents may be that.  Verizon isn't going
to give out 2,000,000 IP addresses.  NATTING and gatewaying
become a burden.  Also IP aware appliances jump in - set top
boxes, etc.

Until then, it will come out slowly.  Trading floors will start
to roll it out on their backbones and maybe some segments, cause
it's a little quicker and it offers advantages they want.  It
will appear is small isolated spots.

Hey!  If my backbone has it and the folks I'm subcontracting web
development to also do, then we can join our nets together.

In the non-US part of the world, I see adoption happening more
quickly because there's more demand.  There's a LOT of network
space in the US.  There's a LOT less in other parts of the world
(and a lot more need in the next 10 years).

It could all change if the big backbones started offering it native.
I think they are busy trying to not to disappear, here in the US
technology nuclear winter.