[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:28:44 +0100

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:22:58PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

> While this is a nice idea - from the global *routing* perspective, you do
> certainly *NOT* want "everybody and their friends" to be able to get
> their own globally visible address block.
>
> Right now, it's important to push IPv6, but in the long run, I *want*
> restrictions on "who can get IPv6 blocks from the RIR".

I think this is true.  Another question is what the smaller ISPs and end
usrs end up paying, at the bottom of the food chain.   At present a static
IPv4 address for DSL can be of the order of 15 Euros, for those who don't
want to use DDNS.   What price a static IPv6 /48 prefix to the home?

Tim