[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:24:22 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:04:37AM +0200, Francis Dupont wrote:
>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
>    > => one of the interest of IPv6 is to finish with this system of fees for
>    > addresses. I am afraid that the current RIR monopoly will give at the end
>    > something even nastier than ICANN.
>
>    How do you propose to handle address management, reverse DNS management
>    etc. without someone to take care of it (and get paid for it)?
>
> => I didn't say I have the "solution" but the Internet was here for enough
> time to show what things are not good solutions. And the current system,
> the RIR monopoly, can only give a disaster in the long term, and something
> even worse than ICANN because the IPv4 address space is really limited.

If IPv4 runs out, so be it.  This is why we're doing IPv6.

>  Unfortunately it seems that only this system is proposed for IPv6 and
> we already got some bad consequences: can you really argue that RIRs pushed
> for IPv6 last years?

I agree that the RIRs have been slow in adopting IPv6, and not very
proactive either.  On the other hand, in the last round of policy
discussions, the restrictive attitude came from the ARIN *community*, not
from the RIRs.

I don't think, though, that the RIRs have slowed down IPv6 deployment -
the 6bone was there, and still the big breakthrough isn't happening.

>  To come back to the 6bone (and to stay in the list charter), the case
> of inviduals and sites interested in IPv6 (/64, /48, ...) is handled by
> small organizations without money or resources to collect money (this is
> a key point, I'll come back to it), not by ISPs (i.e., RIR members) because
> the number of ISPs supporting IPv6 is too small.

I honour voluntary efforts.  Over time, and if we want to be IPv6 something
that's available everywhere, this will have to change, because volunteers
burn out eventually, or get bored.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  45583  (46871)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299