[6bone] separating IPv6 experimental from production traffic

Ronald van der Pol Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:07:12 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:21:49 -0700, Bill Manning wrote:

> 	only kind of shop. I don't have to deal w/ accounting,
> 	VPNs, QoS, RED... ad.nausa. that commercial providers
> 	do.  R&E use is distinctly different than commercial
> 	providers.  They need to be able tosupport AUP/SLA
> 	crap that we don't.

The SURFnet network does have SLAs with its customers. Maybe the
difference is that it was designed with KISS as an important design
principle. Telcos seem to think that it all should be as complex
as possible. We did have problems with the combination of several
features. So we looked at which features could be scrapped and done
simpler.

> 	Same was true with inital IPv4 deployment.

Are you saying it's no problem to make the same mistake twice :-)

	rvdp