[6bone] the end of ngtrans

Joao Luis Silva Damas joao@ripe.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:44:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Michel Py wrote:

> 6boners,
>
> > Randy Bush wrote:
> > hence it is planned for ngtrans be closed and a new
> > group, v6ops, be chartered
>
> This creates an interesting situation as the 6bone was informally
> operated with oversight from the "NGtrans" (IPv6 Transition) Working
> Group of the IETF.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Honestly, I believe it is a good thing. It clearly sets a new step.

Note that neither this nor my previous mails suggest that the 6Bone should
stop existing now. There is definitely a role for networks which are
currently already using IPv6 addresses in creating a certain core network.

What I don't think makes sense anymore is to allocate new 6Bone blocks for
purposes that are just plain natural deployment.

Bob, from your message I had the feeling you are mixing address blocks
with connectivity. They are not the same.

No one is going to be able to tell anyone else that they should stop
exchanging traffic. The peering and transit relationships will and should
remain and their evolution should only be dictated by normal network
evolution (new or bigger ISPs, some old ones going away, etc)

The important point here is that IPv6 is now deployable and it is time to
stop allocating new blocks of addresses for plain operational purposes.
Just in the same way you are approached by people interested in using
IPv6, I talk to people in companies who just can't justify looking at it
seriously while it has the "experimental" tag attached to it.

The 6Bone list should definitely stay, it is a very valuable resource for
coordination and education. I don't think anyone will question that.

And finally, I am glad to have been able to change the subject as I have
nothing against the Euro6 people and it I would hate to have
misunderstandings.

Cheers,
Joao