[6bone] pTLA request by Euro6IX project for exchange experimentation - review closes 3 Sep 2002

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:30:58 -0700

Rik,

At 05:01 PM 8/14/2002 -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > You might want to read the following thread on the v6ops and/or ngtrans
> > mailing list, started this morning: (ngtrans) v6 considered operational
> >
> > http://ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2002/msg00000.html
>
>That's nice and all, but I'd hate it if that would mean
>a bunch of IX folks would declare the 6bone obsolete and
>I'd be without ipv6 connectivity until my ISP starts
>offering it, some undetermined time into the future.
>
>6bone is here to stay for quite a while more...

The original charge for the 6bone came through ngtrans and RFC2471. When we
started a re-chartering of ngtrans Randy did not want it there anymore.

Subsequently the RIR heads told me it was not their job to ever set a
sunset on the 6bone, rather it was the IETF. This makes sense to me.

Anwyay, stay tuned as all these things evolve. I'm glad you think that the
6bone still has a place; so do I.

Bob