[6bone] pTLA request by Euro6IX project for exchange experimentation - review closes 3 Sep 2002

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
12 Aug 2002 21:31:56 +0200

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 20:27, Michel Py wrote:
Michel / Jordi / Bob / 6boner,

> I have some specific questions about this:
>
> 1. Question regarding allocations/assignments within the Euro6IX pTLA:
>
> My understanding is that this pTLA would be used for IX infrastructure,
> which means routers physically present in one of the IXes, links between
> them, router loopbacks, common peering subnets, that kind of thing. Am I
> correct?
>
> The question is: what block size are you planning on allocating to whom?
> For example, are your planning on allocating a /48 to each IX, and let
> the IX assign subnets to participants? Are you planning multiple levels
> of aggregation (such as a /40 per country)?

Why IX don't use the Global IPv6 Internet Exchange Points Assignments
made by the RIR ?

> 2. Question about the consequences on the global IPv6 routing table.
>
> What will we see in the global routing table WRT the Euro6IX pTLA? The
> question is actually more like what are the consequences if everyone
> (except Euro6IX IXes peering between themselves) is applying the
> "STRICT" route map that has been discussed recently.
>
> If all we shall see in the global routing table is the Euro6IX pTLA
> aggregate, I am curious to know who will announce it, and if you plan to
> have each IX announce it as a proxy/pseudo anycast route.

I think that it will be like the AMS-IX pTLA
(http://whois.6bone.net/cgi-bin/whois?ams-ix).

Best regards,

Nicolas DEFFAYET