[6bone] routing problem

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:20:02 +0200

Hi,

(I am copying the 6bone mailing list back in, as I think this is a pretty
generic problem - I hope you don't mind)

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 08:56:09PM +0200, Wim Biemolt wrote:
> ==> From: Gert Doering
>
> > To clarify this:  this is not an effect of "caching" of any sort.  It's
> > just plain buggy router implementations that don't handle withdrawals
> > correctly.
>
> So I can only hope that a buggy router implementation also means a memory
> leak or something like that causing them to reboot in the real near future?

No.  In our case, the /35 staid in the table until I finally managed to
reach someone at Viagenie who cleared some sessions...  the BT /35 got
stuck at Chello, and after clearing their sessions, at Viagenie.

> The only other option I see is switch back to our /35. We are using IPv6
> as production.

So are we...

> Being without any decent IPv6 connectivity for too long
> won't do our case for IPv6 any good I'm afraid.

No :-((

My recommendation would be to contact all your peers and check the different
paths seen everywhere for "common tails".  Then contact the AS(es) that you
see in the first hop of the "common tail" (in your case, as far as I could
see, Chello and this Japanese AS) and ask them to check their tables for
the prefix, and preferably clear some BGP sessions (upstream and/or
downstream).

In the last case, clearing session at Chello and yelling at Viagenie
helped...   but as I said, this time, Viagenie hasn't been in the paths
(yet?), but a new japanese AS that I haven't seen before.

This takes some time, though (1-2 days).  If you can't spend that time,
you'll have to announce both the /32 and the /35, establish contact to
the suspect ASes, withdraw the /35 again, and hope that you got the
right ones.

Feel free to contact me to get an "show bgp ipv6 ..." output from here.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  46871 (46631)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299