[6bone] semi-newbie Q on IPv6 address planning

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:26:35 -0700

Jao,

> rfc2374 is basically out of date - the terminology and boundaries
> referring to TLA, NLA etc are not applicable any more. So, your /32
> is yours to subdivide as you wish - the minimum amount you give to
> any site is a /48, you use /64 for point-to-point links (and as
> Michel said, pick a /48 block to number your p-t-p links out of -
> which gives you 65k p-t-ps).

> Jao wrote:
> Indeed, and that is my concern. The experts are referring
> people to outdated documents describing features that in
> some cases the WG has dropped *years* ago (TLA, NLA, the
> 8 bit reserved field).

The fact of the matter is that the RFC has not been obsoleted yet. I
agree that there is a consensus that it's going away, but this is not
official yet.

Two more precisions:

- As far as the 6bone is concerned, there is no replacement for "pTLA"
as of today I know of. In this context, the use of "sTLA" is perfectly
fine as far as I am concerned too.

- There is no replacement I know for "SLA bits" either. In the lack of a
better term, I'll continue to use it.

If officially there is no fixed /48 boundary, it is the recommendation
of RIRs that all sites are given a /48, and I have not seen any examples
of ISPs assigning anything else than a /48 to a site and a /64 for a
single subnet.

> And by the way, a /126 is perfect for Point-to-point

No, it is as illegal with draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-08.txt than it
is with RFC2374, read draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-08.txt again.

Michel.