about IPv6 PPPoE

Joel Baker lucifer@lightbearer.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:51:24 -0600

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:24:16AM -0400, Bo Byrd wrote:
> 20:1 seems very extreme.  From what I've seen a subscriber management
> system can terminate around 32000 PVC's and can support 8000 active
> PVC's, that's 4:1.  Of course for the best interests of the customers
> you cant normally run it like that, for best performance you usually see
> around 3:1 in datacenters with multiple SMS devices.  Surely 20:1 is in
> reference to some other set of figures.

Bandwidth subscription rates typically go at *least* 20:1 for residential
DSL; sometimes 30:1. This is not, actually, a problem for most situations,
if combined with proper monitoring of the circuit and engineers who grok
how statistical multiplexing works and when you shouldn't be using it.

(FWIW: observed traffic showed about a 10:1 ration of capacity:traffic on
a device terminating business T1 customers, at least 2-3 of which were
running their lines full-bore 24x7; the business DSL folks ended up being
something between 15:1 and 20:1, and all of those customers pay lots of
money to never have a bottleneck inside the providers network; that's *not*
what residential customers pay for, and so they aren't guaranteed it, and
sometimes end up 30:1, or even 40:1 in one rumored instance).

The statistics in question were taken over the span of a month and a half,
at 5 minute intervals, and processed extensively (some of it useful, much
of it for making pretty graphs to prove to the people paying for upstream
circuits that they couldn't safely try to multiplex 30:1 on the business
T1s, even having hundreds of customers).
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/