Internet2 Land Speed Record award for IPv6

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:14:27 -0700

6bone Folk,

I am passing along a request I think our community should be interested in:
participating in the Internet 2's Land Speed Record project for IPv6, which
you can read about at:

  <http://www.internet2.edu/html/i2lsr.shtml>

These folk have created a category for IPv6 (so you don't have to compete
against IPv4 for speed) but have had no entrants to date. This is fertile
ground to prove what IPv6 can do.

(Note that, contrary to the web site statement, there is currently no
financial reward, just a very nice engraved plaque, a press release, and a
formal presentation at an Internet 2 member meeting).

The record is set similar to other international awards projects, requiring
a 10% improvement over a previous record to decide when a new record has
been set. I have been told that the closing date requirement for applicants
has been removed (contrary to the web site writeup).

Please take a look and see if we can start setting IPv6 speed records. Who
knows, as this develops we may be able to compete with IPv4 speed records,
which currently is:

>A team from the University of Washington, the Information Sciences
>Institute of the University of Southern California, Qwest and Microsoft
>set a new standard for Internet performance by transferring 8.4 GB worth
>of data from Redmond, Washington to Arlington, Virginia (5,626 Km) in 81
>seconds at a rate of over 830 megabits per second. They won both the
>single stream and multistream classes of the I2-LSR competition.

Maybe we should have an additional category for tunneled networks as well.
Please contact <lsr@internet2.edu> if you want to know more.

Thanks,

Bob