about IPv6 PPPoE

Michael Richardson mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:40:02 -0400

    Christian> there's a difference between a user's perspective and service
    Christian> provider.  i was stating the service provider side.  bridged dsl is
    Christian> grandfathered, being phased out, and all new deployment for the past
    Christian> couple of years has been pppoe at the sp i'm most familiar with.  the
    Christian> issues are around management and scalability of the service.

  Well, it might be the going concern for residential, but almost no soho/business
installations I'm familliar with will tolerate pppoe.  There just isn't a
point. We do not want the address negotiated, we do not need another password
that could be divulged, and we *do* want some address space behind the box.

  PPPoE deployment ==> more NAT in my opinion.