multihoming

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:19:06 -0700

Bill,

> Bill Manning wrote:
> tainting/overloading the routing table for IPv6 is
> a non-issue at this point in time.  Some 400 prefixes
> are active.  What ought to be of more concern is the
> need to get a /48, -per provider- to deal w/ multihoming.
> This does not bode well for effective address conservation.

You are missing the point, IMHO. Granted, a /48 per provider is not the
most efficient allocation, but please keep in mind that there is an
almost unlimited number of /48s. There is more than enough room in the
2000:3FFF space to give multiple /48s to each living person on earth,
and also enough space to give multiple /64s to each light bulb in use.

On the other end, there are practical limits to the size of the routing
table, end even if we had unlimited CPU, memory and bandwidth resources
it would become a manageability issue anyway.

Michel.