multihoming

itojun@iijlab.net itojun@iijlab.net
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:48:50 +0900

>> I was under the impression that IPv6 multihoming required an ASN?
>It does indeed require one as the only way to be multihomed today in IPv6 is to be a xTLA.

	depending on what you mean by "multihoming" and what kind of failure
	you want to cope with.
	yes, if you want to do currently-practiced provider-independent address/
	punching-hole routing info style multihoming, you need an ASN.

	RFC3178 is working just fine for me without ASN or provider-independent
	address/punching hole (basically, you get two /48 prefixes from two
	upstream provider, and you can cope with link failure to upstream).

	btw, i wonder why it is justified by people doing punching-hole style
	multihome, to taint/overload worldwide routing table for the benefit of
	a leaf site.  i guess we need a better routing protocol, or something.

itojun