TLA request 'for multihoming' (was: pTLA request SSVL)

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:40:17 -0700

> Pim van Pelt wrote:
> If everyone with an AS will have a TLA then I would be very happy.
> That would mean 64K prefixes in the DFZ ;-)

That is, before we get 32-bit AS numbers.

> From a technical point of view, there is no need for multihoming.
> An ISP (look at the thread I started previously) can maintain
> redundant uplinks to the Internet, multiple peering routers,
> multiple transit carriers, etcetc, without the need for the
> customer to have its prefix announced by more than one ISP.

This does not address:
1. The desire of the customer not to be held hostage by the ISP.
2. The performance requirement that some customers need to have direct
transit from a large number of tier-1.

Michel.