[6BONE] A DNS question re 6to6/IPv6 host IN A records.

Phil Benchoff benchoff@vt.edu
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:35:21 -0400

Since people are posting about how they are handling DNS issues, I thought
I would explain what I do as well.

<whatever>.example.edu         normal v4 records
<whatever>.ip6.example.edu     AAAA records hosted on our production bind-8
<whatever>.ip6a6.example.edu   A6 records hosted on test bind-9
<whatever>.ipv6.example.edu    A,A6,allow-v6-synthesis test bind-9

* The only zone data I enter is the ip6a6 data.  The rest are generated
  from that file.

* The ipv6.example.edu zone is the simulation of what will happen when
  we move the v6 stuff into the production zone.  The only issue to
  deal with is servers that do not support v6 on all of their services.

* The ip6 and ip6a6 zones are primarily used for testing exactly how
  applications react when there is a specific type of RR returned.

So far, this appears to work pretty well.

Phil