A DNS question re 6to6/IPv6 host IN A records.

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:04:34 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
[snip]
> 	if you run www.ipv6.google.com, people won't be able to smoothly
> 	migrate to IPv6.  i believe it a major drawback.
>
> 	my point is, there are a lot of ways you can operate dual-stack
> 	services, and you just need to make a right choice.

I don't dispute this.  Telling people who don't have a lot of experience
with IPv6, though, to put their services in the same name as AAAA is not
often the best solution though.

_When_ they're confortable enough with "IPv6 production", the move from
xxx.ipv6.yyy.com to (also) xxx.yyy.com is usually not a problem.

My point is that it's easy to begin with a separate zone -- there are no
(potentially) negative side-effects -- and move to combined zone when you
gain experience and feel confortable doing so.