MRTG of IPv6 version

itojun@iijlab.net itojun@iijlab.net
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:04:37 +0900

>>     I have heard that there is MRTG of IPv6 version. Does anybody know
>> where to get the software? Or, it is just a rumor!
>If I try to feed MRTG (on BSD) a name that only has a AAAA record, I get
>an error from SNMP_util.pm (cannot resolve "hostname" to IP address) -
>so I guess an upgrade to this module is a prerequisite. Does anyone know
>if the relevant perl modules are being upgraded?

	"MRTG for IPv6" can mean two things:
	- querying IPv6 related MIBs (over IPv4), or
	- querying MIBs over IPv6 transport (for any kind of MIBs).
	you are apparently talking about the latter.  many of other
	postings are talking about the former.

	for the former, the current MRTG works just fine - you just need to
	specify correct MIBs.
	for the latter, I guess SNMP_util.pm is not ready for IPv6.  you would
	need to use net-snmp 5.0 (now in beta track).

	as others have mentioned, MRTG is a very generic tool - if you invoke
	apps that generate one-liner result MRTG will graph it.  so you can
	combine other tools to get around problems.

itojun