MRTG and IPv6

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne@skypro.be
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:29:23 +0200 (CEST)

Greetings,

OK. Did a 'delete' a little bit to fast; so I'll have to reply without
having the actual message.

Concerning the question about MRTG and IPv6.
In MRTG, there is an option to run 'external' programs.

In you rmrtg-config, you just add a line
Target[something]: `/path/to/some/command some-parameters` (mind the
BACK-quotes).

The program must return 4 lines of text:
- datafield 1 (usually 'in')
- datafield 2 (usually 'out')
- uptime (text)
- name of device.

So, overthere, you can use a program that is IPv6 enabled.

I actually use this in another way:

I have an external program that runs completely independant of MRTG (it's
actually an external module of "big brother", see http://bb4.com/); which
generates a small file containing these 4 lines (as explained above).

In mrtg (which I use just for visualisation), I just have
Target [something]: `cat file`

In that way; you can have a single program that fetches some data (by
telneting into the box); retrieve a lot of data at-ones; generate a large
number of 'data-files'; and use mrtg/rrdtool to visualise them (by just
doing a "cat" of all these data-files).
I do this this way; as this reduces the load on the devices (you just do a
single telnet onto the netwerk-device) and it also reduced the load on the
mrtg-server (starting-up a large number of very small perl-script seams to
eat a lot of CPU).

Just my ¤ 0.05 of thoughts.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN